Saturday 8 November 2008

Rough mining village!




Through absolute panic, I decided not to model a house for the village but to model the whole area in which the village is situated. I know it's going to be a big job so I think it's wise to start it as soon a possible. First of all I made a quick sketch, based off the design Josh drew, so I could get a rough estimation of the top down view of the place. After that I put the drawing into maya to start modelling. I've spent most of the day just trying to figure out how I would make this whole area in maya. I first tried making it by cutting into planes but it was proving too difficult. I then tried created a plane with hundreds of pre-done subdivisions in it. I tried cutting this subdivided plane with the split polygon tool, but it was proving way too fiddly. I finally decided to simply make the rock out of cubes and extrude the edges. The whole area is made up of about fifteen cubes that I will merge together by deleting some of the faces. It's very basic at the moment, I'm just trying to get the general shape. I will go on to make it look more 3d and have more of an incline to the floor of the village rather than a sheere drop. I placed my model of the main mountain in here to show how it will really be the towering, castle-like, centre-piece of the village.


No comments: