Monday 3 November 2008

Lewis vs Toon Shader (round 2)!





Hey guys, I've finished colouring the mountain using the toon shader. I decided to colour the unsmoothed model as I just think it looks more interesting. I had a good hearty go at the toon shader and this is what I came up with. I'd heard of this this called 'Non Realistic Shading' from the Internet, which apparently gets a similar effect to the new Prince of Persia game. However, I found out that I would have hack into Maya to install the add on. Now, I'm no computer expert, so I decided to throw that idea out the window. Instead I decided to battle the toon shader once one. I drew influence from the two tonal shading from our concept designs and decided to make the shades of the mountain quite stark. A bright orangy-yellow for the highlights, a deeper orange tone for the mids, and a abrasive black for the shadows. For the outline, I decided to keep it quite thin as i think that a really thick outline can look a bit tacky. However when fiddling with the outliner I noticed there are different settings. There is the usual outliner effect which just does the border of the entire shape, or there is another one which outlines just the contours in the model. I chose to use a combination of the both to get the effect that you see in the images. It seems, that the unsmoothed model has created a really cool effect, as it has given the mountain a very blocky, comic book style shading. Also, because I used An outliner for the contours of the model aswell, it has outlined certain, jutting parts of the model which gives it a more 3d look. The use of heavy shadow has given the model an interesting look which reminds me of Mike Mignola's art style. Sam suggested in a telephone conversation with myself that, for my next model, I should put the model against the gradient background that we made to get an idea of what it might look like in the final film. It's funny because I think that the coloured model, actually looks a lot like some of our concepts. Obviously, there are some things I would like to change about the model, but all in all, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

1 comment:

N Pinnock said...

Oh hell yeah, I like the way you made the use of coulour more vibrant and alive good work. However I've been thinking, since you put the rock up against the sky gradient, do you think that the colour is to bright? I mean it's just like you said, the rock reflects the colour of the sky. But I know you must of designed it first then put it on the gradient.